Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Easy Rider

There is nothing I would love more than an opportunity to make a cross-country road trip. But for now, I had to settle for a cross-town bike trip to Yancey Richardson Gallery in Chelsea to see the current exhibition "Easy Rider: Road Trips Through America". If I were to make a list of my all-time favorite photographers, it would look much like the list of photographers in this exhibition, including William Eggleston, Robert Frank, Ed Ruscha, Stephen Shore, Joel Sternfeld, Tim Davis, and many more. Though my list would include some less recognized, more emerging types as well. One of the images that stood out to me was a collage of snapshots of women shot in a biker bar by Lisa Kereszi. I was a little startled that one of Eggleston's famous dye transfer prints priced at $35,000 looked a bit like a digital file gone awry. Nevertheless, an incredibly inspiring show. I also enjoyed seeing some prints from Amy Stein's Stranded series in another road trip show at Mixed Greens Gallery.

No comments: