Saturday, September 22, 2007

80 Year War


Remembrance of Things Past
Video Still
copyright Bryan Zanisnik
2006

Before I moved to New York, I lived in a big old house near Lake of the Isles in Minneapolis with two wacky guys, Bob and Cormac. Bob was in a rock band and we turned one room into a conservatory full of instruments - a piano, a violin, an accordion, a harmonica, and a bunch of guitars. Bob brought a stream of young musicians over to the house for band practice, and I felt much like an older sister might feel towards her sometimes wayward little brother.

Bob moved back to Philadelphia last year and came to New York on Thursday for the opening of his friend, Bryan Zanisnik's, show at Priska C. Juschka Fine Art. Bryan has edited footage he shot of his grandmother and parents re-enacting scenes of war, immigration, and gangster predicaments which he shot between the ages of 13 and 15. The results are pretty hilarious and what a fantastic grandma this kid lucked out on.

1 comment:

Evilyn Garnett said...

That idea is so wonderful; Tobe able to actually play make believe w. my grandparents would have been my idea of heaven. I wish I'd filmed my little sisters playing...their play had a darkside, sometimes it was like watching "The Maids" by Jean Genet, a strange sado-masochistic ritual that went farther and farther out. The older one would pretend to be the orphanage mistress and the younger one would have to "pretend" to scrub the floor with a toothbrush...