Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Justin James Reed


Idaho Springs, Colorado
copyright Justin James Reed

Like a lot of people right now, I am struggling in a major way with getting enough work and figuring out how to pay the rent and coming up with creative solutions for Christmas presents this year. Being a freelance artist and photographer in Gotham City post market crash feels pretty anxious and scary a whole lot of the time ... but lest I add to the doom and gloom we hear on the radio just about every day, I will say, I scraped up $20 plus shipping for my favorite cause: emerging artists.

Last year, around this time just before I left for Texas - a trip I am making again on Sunday thanks to credit cards - I bought a small print of Eric Graham's Unleaded, Unleaded, Premium Unleaded from Jen Bekman's 20x200 project. This year, I fell for Justin James Reed's Idaho Springs, Colorado image, which is jam packed with just about everything I love: snow, space, a motel, a diner, mountains, a big sky, gorgeous light and a sense of what makes the American West so irresistibly romantic and sublime. It's on my wall next to Eric's gas station, and the two make a perfect pair.

And Justin James Reed ... what a cool name ... like a pioneer or a president or an outlaw, and he even lived in Minnesota.

No comments: