Wednesday, February 16, 2011

More Fuel for Allison


Pennsylvania, 2006


Brooklyn, 2006


Brooklyn, 2006

Australian writer and poet Allison Browning and I began our correspondence a year ago when I discovered my White Horse on her blog accompanying her poem, Small Gods. We quickly became overseas pen pals, sharing our experiences and intimate thoughts on love, relationships in their various manifestations, writing, soul-searching, and art-making.

Allison's poetry is inspired by images from photographers around the world, and in time, more of my own photographs appeared on her blog along with her poems: Fuel, Two Little, and Quickstep. I was thrilled for Allison that Fuel was selected for The Best Australian Poems 2010.

David Andrew Frey and I invited Allison to curate a Culturehall Feature Issue based on Australian photographers, and in September 2010, she contributed a beautiful essay, OUT BACK.

In honor of our year as kindred spirits and confidants, I've searched my contact sheets for old images with open spaces for Allison to find words. Thank you, Allison, for an inspiring friendship.

7 comments:

allison said...

Thank YOU Tema, much love from Melbourne Town xx

Gabriele Harhoff said...

I like the rainy window a lot - should go along well with a poem!

Tema Stauffer said...

Thank you, Gabriele. I just looked at your website and there are some great photos. You've been all over the world, and even one of my favorite regions in the US - West Texas.

Gabriele Harhoff said...

Thanks Tema,
not only is West Texas one of my favorite regions, but Austin is my favorite city in the US. Since I follow your blog I know you go there regularly. We try to go once a year, preferably in winter.
Best regards,
Gabriele

Tema Stauffer said...

Wow. Cool! Maybe we'll overlap in the winter at some point. Let's stay in touch.

T.

Gabriele Harhoff said...

I'll let you know next time we go (sometimes I visit NYC, too).

Tema Stauffer said...

Great.

All the best from NYC.

T.