Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Dream-Self


Caitlin
from Daughters of Job
copyright Ali Malone

I'm not really a photographer from Minnesota, as much as I'd like to pretend sometimes because it does sound romantic and man, are some of them successful. I just lived there for four and a half years and was lucky to meet some great photographers who were actually born and bred in those parts. My friend, Ali Malone, is the real deal. Ali moved out to New York a year after I did for the graduate photo program at SVA. I took my first of many Photoshop classes with Ali at MCAD, and she taught me what an adjustment layer is and how to composite images. I am extremely slow and dumb and forgetful, but Ali is a techi whiz kid if I've ever met one.

Ali has work in a group show called Dream-Self opening tomorrow at Broadway Gallery in SoHo. The photographs in this series, "Daughters of Job," portray a secret society of girls ranging in ages from 10 to 20 years old who are the daughters and granddaughters of Freemasons. According to Ali, "These images are concerned with the psychology of identity formation through traditional ritual and role-playing within a patriarchal organization."

To read more about the exhibition, check out the press release.

Dream-Self
Broadway Gallery
473 Broadway, 7th Floor
opening Thursday April 3rd, 6-8pm

No comments: